Saturday, January 23, 2010

Capitol Dome view


9"x12"
oil/canvas



Headed out this morning with a plan of doing a 16x20 view of Harrisburg from the west shore. The park was closed so couldn't take the van in. Drove around a bit and ended up in a business for sale parking lot with a great view of the river and the capitol."yeah, it's a sketch and I have a hard time seeing the dome too. And I painted it!" Anyway, the light was changing fast so I had a 9x12 in the van and mixed rapidly and sketched this. I didn't quite get the light but felt good about freedom of brushstroke. I may do a purple/yellow complementery color larger piece from this study. The backlit scene was really nice and want to capture it. At any rate I found a new place to paint.

2 comments:

SamArtDog said...

Wow. Give you a 9 x 12 and some fading light, and just look what happens. Slam, bam, thank you ma'am!

brian eppley said...

That's kinda how it felt. My paint started to freeze and skies, they were a changin'.Should of fired up the flame thrower but really felt pressed for time. I'm not sure what direction my work is taking but we'll find out more tomorrow.