Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Winter Sky

10"x20" oil




Today was a strange day. We were right on the edge of a coastal storm. It was snowing in Lancaster and Baltimore but not Harrisburg. Towards evening the sky developed this hard edge that I found interesting but I'm not sure it reads properly. I once read a quote from Emille Gruppe that basically said really unusual scenes in nature may appear fantastic at the moment but can we really live with them daily? This may be one of those scenes. On a side note, I will be painting at Chaddsford Historical Barn this Saturday with 29 other MAPAPA members including Ken Backhaus. Ken will be doing a demo and critique our works on Sunday. Looking forward to this weekend and should get at least 3 new works done. The Brandywine valley is a very picturesque area and I can't wait to paint it!

6 comments:

loriann signori said...

The dramatic shapes are great!

brian eppley said...

Thanks Loriann. This one boils down as an abstraction. I was only interested in the shapes. Light was poor but the shapes spoke to me. Good observation.

Karen said...

I think the edge reads beautifully. Does Gruppe mean that we can't live with them as in people wouldn't buy them for their home? Someone told me something like that about winter scenes in general, but I love them...painting them, looking at them.

What palette knife do you like to work with best?

I look forward to hearing about the crit with Backhaus!

brian eppley said...

Thanks Rachete! I'll check out your blog.

brian eppley said...

Thanks Karen! Yeah, I think Gruppe meant hanging them and seeing them daily is a bit much. Early on I painted some very vivid sunsets with tons of color and after awhile I couldn't stand to look at them. It's a fine line but extremes can be a bit overwhelming. The unusualness of the scene is what makes it exciting and to see it all the time on the wall takes a bit away. Just a thought. I love winter scenes too, Gruppe had no objection to those. In fact he painted some absolute dandies! I use creative marks knives t series. I can't tell you the size because the handles are so worn I can't read them anymore. They are medium size trowel style and I use them for everything including scraping the palette and scraping old paintings. I'll take pictures Saturday and should have some good posts of backhaus' stuff and others.
I love your winter scenes. The trees are executed freely and wonderfully. Look forward to your next post

Karen said...

Thanks for the knife info! I like them a lot though I'm not using them a whole lot right now.
I look forward to your paint-out posts.