Sunday, February 8, 2009

Kenn Backhaus' Demo

After Kenn got to this point I left to paint. It would have been nice to see the finished product but the sun was out and I wanted to move some paint. I later scraped the painting I did after this demo! Kenn first put a trail in the middle of the foreground mass then corrected, noting " try not to divide a mass equally in half". Another good tip!

Here the masses are established. Kenn stressed the fact that after establishing the light condition as quickly as possible keep to it. The light changed during the demo via clouds and sun angle but he basically stuck with the original light unless compositionally something interesting could be achieved

Kenn first put in the darkest notes of the painting and then developed the main interest area first, including the light areas. The focus was on establishing the focal point and develope outwards


Kenn layed down a quick stain to give a bit of location to where he would sketch with pencil the buildings. He also gave great attention to the location of the pine trees and and how to arrange them. In reality they were tapered in height small to large. He chose to make the middle one the shortest thus breaking up the big bigger biggest repetition. Good tip!



2 comments:

Karen said...

Thanks for posting this! It's really good info, and I love that we can see Backhaus' painting process.

I hope you were happy with you river paintings...I think they capture the light effect wonderfully (Camille would be so happy! :) )

On another note, it's interesting to see you mention David Oleski. I've had a notecard of his in my studio for a really long time and always admired the painting on it, and I can't remember where I picked it up here, but I'd not heard of him before. Interesting to see his name again!

brian eppley said...

Karen,
I'm still not sure how I feel about the river paintings. I need to get them back and study them in studio. But, the fact that you like the effect and mentioned Camille makes me feel a whole lot better!
David is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. He has been extremely helpful with the many questions I've had about anything art related. And he and his wife are fantastic hosts. He does outdoor art shows and I know he shows around Chicago. You probably got his card there.
I'll check your site now