Saturday, January 3, 2009


11"x14" oil
Well this my first plein air painting of 2009. I painted it between the hours of 8:00 am and 9:00 am. It was 27 degrees outside with a breeze. Let's just say it was chilly! I painted about as quickly as I ever have and am a bit rusty right now. I'm not terribly happy with the piece but will post it to remain honest. I do like the grain silos as a subject and will paint this group many more times in various conditions. I think the only thing I was trying to convey was the fact that it was morning, cold and not cloudy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brian,

Thanks for your kind words on my blog. I like what you're up to here and really admire your ability with the knife. I've not tried knife painting much but have wanted to. I'll keep an eye on your blog for inspiration.

brian eppley said...

Thanks Bill. Your brushwork is already so nice and loose. But if you do some knife work I can't wait to see it.

loriann signori said...

It's beautiful Brian. I love the color harmony you created. What a moody piece...you can even make silos look good.

brian eppley said...

Thanks Loriann. I'll try to do some better ones soon. We've had ice on the trees now for 2 days making for some nice scenery unfortunately I've been sick. Looks like you might get some snow Saturday. Good luck painting!