Sunday, January 25, 2009

Day 1 Warm Springs Lodge

14"x12" oil
8"x8" ceramic tile

I just returned from a 4 day plein air/ still life painting trip to Warm Springs Lodge. Every year the Seven Lively artists group heads to Perry county Pa. to paint and compare works with a final critique on Sunday. We had good light the first two days, days 3 and 4 were cold and gray. I'm posting the work in chronological order. I set up for still life in what amounts to be the boiler room in the basement. Sounds dreary but I could completely control the artificial light on the subject and the easel as there were no windows. After a day of plein air work the idea of controlling light is not only tempting but is a relief! I did a sycamore tree around 10:00 am and a still life of two pears later that day. One of which is lying down. The critique thought the upright pear was too straight. Maybe curve the stem or change the shape a bit. Good call.

No comments: