Monday, January 26, 2009

Day 3 Warm Springs Lodge

16"x18 1/2" oil


8"x8" oil/ceramic tile


The third day brought snow showers and much colder temperatures. The wind was howling. The most interesting thing to me was the changing sky. It seemed that the only thing remaining sunlit was the sky. My subject stayed gray and cool. The clouds were moving so fast I couldn't nail them. I must say I bailed on this one. One thing I do not like is very windy conditions. I mixed warms and cools so quickly they became blended and the painting lost its truth. I did another one in the afternoon,but I wiped it out. Finally in the evening I set up some apples and did a still life. Again, the ability to paint with controlled light is such a relief after a day of plein air work. But I'll be back outside tomorrow!

No comments: