Sunday, April 5, 2009

susquehanna morning

8"x8" oil/panel


Haven't had anytime to paint recently, however I got a quick sketch in this morning. Sat on the steps along the river with the sun directly behind and barely up. The sun was striking the distant hills and islands but not the water in the foreground. I couldn't quite figure out how to vary the light in the water. It seemed all similar reflection whether in sun or not. It was darkest near me and brightest in the center where the distant buildings seemed to pull reflected light to the waters surface. Thats what I went with.

4 comments:

Brian McGurgan said...

Great subtle color and a very nice sense of that light you were going for, Brian.

brian eppley said...

Thanks Brian.
It was a subtle light shift and I'm glad you like it.

Jala Pfaff said...

Oooh, I LOVE this one. The colors go together so well.

brian eppley said...

Thanks Jala, I'll check your stuff now.