Saturday, April 18, 2009

House on Italian Lake

12x12 oil/panel



I tried a few things with this one that I normally don't like to do in landscape. One is including a house that is read as a house and two is centering an object. Since the panel is square and the water was creating a nice reflection it seemed to create an acceptable arrangement of masses. I especially liked the blossoming tree surrounded by dark spruce. For me, it is interesting as an abstraction. I did struggle a bit with getting the proper color relationships for time of day. I didn't know how to act. It was a beautiful morning and I got wrapped up in the experience. I thought while painting I was managing warm and cool properly, in fact I still do. However, I think I could have used better or different colors. Oh well, I have the rest of life to try and figure it out.

2 comments:

Jala Pfaff said...

Hee hee hee, I like your attitude.

This one is very busy, not your usual style to my eye.

brian eppley said...

Good call Jala. I got away from massing. I don't know what I was thinking. These damn blossoms got the best of me. Looks like a postcard attempt. I will do better-promise.
again,good eye
cheers