Saturday, February 12, 2011

essentials

12"x12" oil

While painting a few weeks ago with the seven livelies group I took a break and drove/walked around snapping photos left, right and sideways. It was brutally cold so I did most work inside. Enjoyed the stroll though while snapping pics. I'll say this about working from photos. They are a departure point. I see the light, composition, line and massing. I use a temperature controlled palette and leave a whole bunch out. I see my take on the scene develope from the first dark stroke. I work from dark to light. The goal is to "feel" the piece come to fruition I think. If you don't feel it do something else for the time being. Someone else recently said this on a blog and I couldn't agree more. I'd research it but spent the morning putting a serpentine belt in the jetta and afternoon painting. Now I gots to eat.............

7 comments:

Pam Holnback said...

Beautiful! Love the light dancing across the top of the snow.

SamArtDog said...

Interesting description of your process. Looking back over your last three paintings, I'd call them all "high speed velocity". Very cool.

brian eppley said...

Thank you Colorado gals.

Bridget Hunter said...

I love the simplicity of this work and the colours you've used.

brian eppley said...

Thanks Bridget. Sometimes I really go for a less is more feeling.

loriann signori said...

This is a beauty Brian. The thumbnail caught my eye and then the simplicity and beauty of your color (in the bigger view) drew me in. My new fave.

brian eppley said...

Thanks Loriann. It's looking less likely that I'll get down for the waverly st. show. Some day I want to see your collection in person.