Thursday, August 19, 2010

Cat as still life



40"x30" oil
This piece was demanding. There were 2 light sources one warm and one cool. Being backlit is another challenge. Sunlight and artificial light create different temperatures. Both apply here. Reflected light adds another challenge.
I approach the piece as I would a landscape. What is necessary? Gesture is critical. Definition is not. Do you need to see feet from this perspective? Only if you're a photo realist. I prefer to let the mind find the description. Do you feel anything? Can you hear me now? Can you hear me now?
I'm doing a soiree with 3 other artists this coming Saturday. This means I'm supplying my 3 tents and panels for us all to exhibit work. It's through the art association of Harrisburg. Come on out. I'd add a link but can't find one. Hmmmmmmmm.................Soiree is at 726 Indiana ave. Lemoyne Pa aug 21, 5-8pm

4 comments:

loriann signori said...

Love the cat painting! Great cat feeling.

SamArtDog said...

Feets, don't fail me now! Of course they won't. Everyone knows cats always land on their feet. Great lighting and gesture!

Jala Pfaff said...

This is very, very interesting and cool. In the thumbnail I thought it looked like a dog...not sure why. ;) But it's EXTREMELY cool and awesome!

brian eppley said...

Thanks Sam. Amazing how they do that.

Thanks Jala. I also get a bit of dog. Scrappy is a cat thats as mean as an evil terrier.(But she loves me for some reason) Her head is big and the reflected light could be seen as a collar. At any rate I think I got her pesonality. She's a dog trapped ina cats body!