Monday, October 18, 2010

a rare one (for me)


5"x7" oil
So here is a glimpse at a piece that I almost never let the public see. I've mentioned before that when I paint my mind rarely wanders on anything other than the next stroke. Well this one was scrubbed down once... sworn at multiple times....given a total death sentence.... all premixed paint was disregarded... my mind was all over the place...I finally said fU@me.com. Typically, I destroy these immediately. For some unknown reason this one still lives. I actually want to see what's inside this structure. I'm actually tempted to let my mind get in the way again. Perhaps some level of consciousness wants to be awoken. Just when you think your approach to painting is becoming "solidified" this happens. I'll sleep on it and see what happens tomorrow.

4 comments:

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

like a lot

SamArtDog said...

My first thought, before reading the post, was, "Now why do I like this one so much?" Sounds like you don't know either. Let us know when you figure it out.

5.5 9.9 said...

I'm glad this one escaped a death sentence. I like it. It tells a story.

brian eppley said...

Thanks Laura. Your site continues to resonate.

Hey Sam. This one may never have an answer. I felt like I was 20 again doing stuff with no thought whatsoever. This isn't too far from what I normally do, but I typically see the whole thing while mixing and make it happen during application. I'm truly befuddled. In fact I didn't paint today. My entire entire being is resisting explanation.

Hi 5.5 9.9. Quite a name. Thanks for chiming in. Are you a numerologist?