Wednesday, April 14, 2010

the goldfish pond



16"x20"
oil/canvas



This is a painting I just did of the goldfish pond my late brother and I dug for my folks. I see it everyday. I don't want to dwell on it but the emotions still run strong. To lose family members, especially early, causes one to get introspective... This piece is about energy and survival. My brother and I dug this goldfish pond as he was recovering from alcoholism rehab. It was a very hot day. The rehab didn't work but the pond rolls on. In the spring the fish find the most temperate water to suit their body temperatures. We finally have warm temps so the warmest water is on the surface. The fish migrate to the surface as their metabolism increases. They can't wait to be fed. It's as if they forgot about the last six months and are right back to their behavior from last September. They really act like pets. So hopefully with some imagination you see them too.


I'm doing a show in Timonium,MD. this weekend. Last week in Knoxville I had a great time. My allergies killed me but my friends showed me a good time and I managed to move a nice piece and won an award. Thank you Knoxville!

3 comments:

Jala Pfaff said...

Congratulations, Brian!

This is a lovely painting...and full of great sentiment, it's clear.

SamArtDog said...

At first quick glance, I thought this painting was of a snow-covered mountain with some joyful goldfish flying up and over it. I'd like to think that as you painted it, some part of you thought that, too.

Congrats on the sale and the award.

brian eppley said...

Thanks Jala. I do appreciate the comments.

Thank you Sam. I took the photo in artificial light and the top got washed out. I'll try to get a natural light shot but am doing a show this weekend. I have got to see what everyone has been upto!