Saturday, June 6, 2009

California Coastline

16x20 oil/canvas




Second one from my California studies. I'm sticking with the standard method of thin wash first establishing lights and darks. Then add colors thinly to establish color and value ranges, then adding more pigment. Finally adding any details that I might find appealing or necessary. By using this method I find it exciting to see the painting develop out of abstact masses. With the knife, often times the first appliction is the last.





I will attempt some works by applying paint with the knife then moving it with brushes. Maybe even these same studies to see the difference. I suspect I'll get the thick paint that I like but remains to be seen how tough it will be to keep things accurate. The colors came out a bit washed out on this one and I may add to it after letting it rest awhile. At any rate it's exciting to experiment.

3 comments:

Jala Pfaff said...

Looking great!!

Janelle Goodwin said...

You did some amazing work in Carmel! Looks like you were very inspired by the event. Although your palette knife work is intriguing, I can understand wanting to experiment with other processes. You really captured the California coastline

brian eppley said...

Thanks Jala and Janelle. I am at a strange point in life and feel there needs to be a new level of work. I'll catch up on your work now.