Thursday, November 19, 2009

ominous


36"x48" oil/canvas





The last set of paintings had a purpose. I was very delibrate with the brush strokes, I maintained a minimalist approach, and I paid very close attention on how I mixed the paint. I also knew they were studies for a much larger painting that I wanted to do. I learned alot from those small ones. The main goal was to get the feeling of something big, ie a weather phenomenon, with as little detail as possible. Let the paint do the talking. I had an epiphany while doing the 3rd 6x6. I dont know why it took me so long to figure this out. Mix all the primaries individually with the stand oil first.... THEN mix the desired colors very loosely allowing many color varieties to happen in each brushstroke!!I should note I use only 3 warm red, yellow, and blues and 3 cool red, yellow and blues plus zinc white. As I appproached this big painting and started mixing I felt really good about the new approach. In fact I felt good during the entire session.


As usual, emotional impact is an important element in art for me. I seem to be gravitating towards a real theme. I've always been a weather freak, and the possible metaphors behind the various atmospheric conditions seem to be endless.

5 comments:

Janelle Goodwin said...

Wow! This one really packs a visual punch! And I bet it looks even more impressive in the large size. Very cool.

loriann signori said...

This painting is a true beauty. It is easy to see that you have found your way to a new plane. Loved hearing about your epiphany ...congrats!

Jala Pfaff said...

This is great, very dramatic, truly ominous.

Unknown said...

"Brian Eppley Paintings" has been included in this weeks A Sunday Drive. I hope this helps to attract even more new visitors (not to mention customers!) here.

http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2009/11/sunday-drive_22.html

brian eppley said...

Thanks everyone. This one was photo'd with a single light source in a dark studio. The effect is probably a tad more dramatic than the piece is in natural light. But I've seen it many light conditions and I like this one.
Thanks Fishhawk for the mention on your site. Thats a nice concept!