Friday, December 12, 2008











I had a bit of a relapse yesterday. While digging through some old photos I found one of a painting I did probably around 7 years ago. I remember not liking it at the time so I covered it with another painting. For whatever reason I like it now. So I taped the photo to my easel and went to work. I intended to to take multiple pictures during the development of the painting, but after the second photo I was so involved I forgot to take anymore. I think that the abstract quality of the piece is what interests me now. Obviously, I don't go for detail but instead try to get the essence of the subject through massing, values and composition. Oh yeah, the cat is one of our three and she is the oldest. So it is a good time to get her in a painting. Bottom photo is charcoal start. Next photo I introduce the darkest values with paint. Third photo is about done and finally the fourth is when I stopped working on it.

2 comments:

Jala Pfaff said...

FANTASTIC composition, values, masses, everything! (We have four cats.)

brian eppley said...

Thanks Jala for all the comments! I just went back through the older posts and see your commentings. Thanks again